Coat of Arms Diocese Logo

Diocese of


Naujaat (Repulse Bay   ᓇᐅᔭᑦ)

Our Lady of the Snows
Foundation of the Roman Catholic Mission


Father Emmanuel Duplain OMI (1892-1972) visited the Inuit of Repulse Bay in 1925, arriving by dog sled from Chesterfield Inlet, with Henry Udjuk and Charles Innuksuk as his guides. He stayed there for 10 days as a guest of the Hudson Bay Company. During that time he preached the gospel and took care of few sick. Later, in 1931 and 1932 the place was visited by Fr. Armand Clabaut OMI. 1933 the mission was founded and Fr. Clabaut was asked to take it in charge.

Father Didier and Translation of the Bible

Fr. Clabaut (in the center) during ceremony in Chesterfield Inlet, 1937

Father Theophile Didier OMI (1910-1986) was in charge of the mission since 1947. He spoke the Inuktituk language perfectly. Remembered for his sense of humour and love for the people, he is one of the official translators of the Bible into Inuktituk.

Oblates That Served the Parish:

  • Fr. Armand Clabaut, 1933-1938
  • Fr. Pierre Henry, 1934-1935
  • Fr. Joseph Masse, 1935-1942
  • Fr. Marc Lacroix, 1935-1939
  • Fr. Franz Van de Velde, 1937
  • Fr. Joseph Buliard, 1939-1943
  • Fr. Robert Biasiolli, 1940
  • Fr. Etienne Bazin, 1942-1946
  • Fr. Francois Berube, 1943-1945
  • Br. Bedard, 1947-1948
  • Fr. Theophile Didier, 1947-60, 1965-74, 1976-77
  • Fr. Eugene Fafard, 1948-1950
  • Fr. Joseph Leverge, 1949-50, 1976-77
  • Fr. Guy Mary-Rousseliere, 1951-1953
  • Fr. Robert Paradis, 1953-1954
  • Fr. Bernard Fransen, 1955-1957
  • Fr. Jean-Marie Trebaol, 1958-1965
  • Fr. Joannis Rivoire, 1965-1975
  • Fr. Hubert Mascaret, 1967-1974
  • Fr. Rogatien Papion, 1978-1982
  • Fr. Louis Fournier, 1996-present

About the Town:


Repulse Bay is called in Inuktituk Naujat with reference to the multitude of seagulls coming each summer from the south. The origin of the name Repulse is not sure. Some attribute it to an unknown captain of the early 18th century, who blocked by the ice was obliged to turn back. He would call the Bay “the one that repulses”. Others believe that the name of the Bay comes from an English vessel called “Repulse”, patrolling the waters of Hudson Bay in 1742. The place holds also the memory of traveler Dr. John Rae, who sailed in the bay of Repulse in 1846 and later during the winter went around the country as far as Kugaaruk (Pelly Bay).

[If you are looking for further general information about the town, a good place to visit is The 2004 Nunavut Handbook .]